In 1839 Mariano Reyes Roldan was granted 6,698 acres which he named Rancho Canada de La Habra (meaning Pass Through the Hills) and in the 1860s Abel Stearns purchased Rancho La Habra. The natural pass to the north was first discovered by Spanish explorers in 1769. Richard Nixon opened his first law office just west of the Civic Center but the building was demolished in the 1990s. For over 70 years La Habra was known as the city just south of La Habra Heights.
Newer community in La Habra include:
The City was incorporated on January 20, 1925 and became known for being the largest avocado center in Southern California. It is located in the northwestern corner of Orange County and is home to a popular Children’s Museum, over 20 parks and holds a world famous corn fesitival every year.